September 21, 2011

Treat Bag Tuesday - Caramel & Sea Salt Chocolate Truffles

So yes, I totally missed my Tuesday deadline for this post.  I know, I know.  But in my defense, the little ones yesterday just took up every single second of my time.  Just one of those days!  I'm actually proud that I got this finished at all. 

But mmmmmm... I have a treat for you today.  Who can honestly say they don't like chocolate... especially chocolate truffles?  Start with that melt-in-your-mouth smoothness, now add a hint of sweet caramel, and the unexpected tang of sea salt, and you've got a total winner.

And the best part?  They're totally easy to make.




Caramel & Sea Salt Chocolate Truffles

8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbs water
3/4 cup whipping cream (35%)
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt

-Melt your chocolate in a double boiler, stirring until smooth.*  When chocolate is completely melted, remove from heat and set aside.



-In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water.  Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbling. 



-Increase heat slightly, and stirring occasionally, let boil until the sugar mixture is a deep amber colour.   Be careful though - don't let the sugar scorch!  (I almost did - which is why I don't have a picture of this step for reference - I had to take it off the heat in a hurry.  Say thanks to my crying baby for that one!).

-Add cream to the sugar mixture.  It will bubble up!!  Don't be freaked out, just stir it all in slowly.  Reduce your heat to very low, and stir until the caramel is nice and smooth. 



-Mix the caramel into the chocolate.  When completely mixed in, sprinkle the salt on top and stir until just mixed in evenly.  Cover and chill until firm. 



-Once completely chilled, scoop out into portions about 1 tablespoon each, and roll into smooth balls.  At this point, you can roll/sprinkle them in cocoa, coarse sugar, coconut, sprinkles, or any other coating of your choice.  You can even dip them into melted chocolate and let set.  I rolled mine in a cocoa/sugar mixture. 



*If you don't have a double boiler (and who does, really??), you can just do what I did - take a saucepan and add a couple of centimetres of water.  Place a heatproof glass bowl in the water.  To keep the bowl from resting directly on the bottom of the pan, I raised the bowl up from the bottom of the pan with - ha ha - a canning ring from a mason jar.  Add your chocolate to the bowl, bring the water to a low boil, and stir frequently while your chocolate melts.  The intent is to create an indirect heat so the chocolate won't scorch or seize up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  If you make these, let me know what you think!  And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...