September 13, 2011

Treat Bag Tuesdays - Banana Bread!

It's been depressing me how infrequently I've been posting.  When I started this blog up, it was my plan to write up a post every second or third day... I even have a notebook FULL of interesting things I plan on writing about. 

Well, that notebook is just getting fatter and fatter.  And my timeframe to work on it keeps getting skinnier and skinnier.  I guess I really had my head in the clouds about how much time two very little ones can suck out of your day, haha.  I've had to resort to only blogging when they're in bed, as my two-year old has discovered "Wheels on the Bus" on YouTube, and now every time I'm now on my computer she climbs into my lap demanding "wheels onda bus, mommy! wheels onda bus go round and round!"


Ruby loving up her little bro... oooooh my two sweet little time-suckers!

So I've decided that I'm going to establish some regular themed postings on a weekly basis.  This is in hopes of kicking my butt into blogging gear. 

Today will be the official first post of  Treat Bag Tuesdays.  Every Tuesday, I'll share a recipe and/or review of some kind of desserts or sweets.  Yum!  So I'll be *forced* to make some goodies every week, darn!  I'm sure my family is going to be super upset about that. 

Yes, I know Tuesday is almost over... BUT I'm going to get this ball rolling!!

So, those of you who know me, know I am the progeny of a baking artist.  Hence, I've seriously been baking since before I can remember. 

When I was in high school, my family started being regular vendors at the local Farmer's Market.  My dad would harvest all the current treasures from his farm crops, and my mom and I would stay up for about 36 straight hours prior, making and baking all sorts of goodies... breads, buns, cakes, candies, pies... you name it.  We'd tweak and test our recipes until they were perfect.  Well, this is one of those recipes... it was in the family recipe bin for years, and was perfected during those crazy Farmer's Market days.  So if any of you have tried our Market banana bread - you can now recreate it in the comfort of your own kitchen!  Hurrah!



Best Banana Bread

1 cup (approximately) mashed banana (about 3 or 4 overripe bananas)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

In a mixing bowl, mix together the mashed banana, sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla.  Mix until smooth.  Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon if you're using it.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, making sure not to let any lumps form.  Once all the flour mixture is in, mix vigorously.  In other words, whip the s#!t out of it.  When it's all smooth and sexy, pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.  If you'd like, sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of sugar on top - this will create a nice sugary crunch once it's baked.  I didn't do this for the loaf in the picture, but I usually do!

Bake the loaf at 350 degrees for approximately one hour.  Do the toothpick check to make sure it's done... you don't want a runny middle!

ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man that looks DELICOUS!! Send me some! :) Found you over at Tip Junkie!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...