October 24, 2011

Adventures in Knit-Land

Needing a (small and portable) creative distraction from the monotony of packing and moving, last week I signed up for another knit-along... the Carefree Cowl Knitalong hosted by Luvinthemommyhood.  The sweater knit-along I was part of went so well (even though I didn't finish on time, and it ended up waaaay too big, but them's the breaks, right?) that I figured this one would be a breeze.

Use up some stash yarn.  Pump out a cowl.  Maybe even two.  Cuz I'm that awesome.  Ha ha.

I decided to be ambitious and try a project with some beautiful lace-weight yarn that my sister-in-law gifted me at least a year ago.  It was so pretty, and I just hated seeing it just SIT there.  So I picked out a pattern and started.



Well.

Attempt #1
Cast on the ridiculous number of stitches needed.  Got about 3 rows in.  Then my toddler decided to wear it as a crown.  When my heart started beating again, we had a tug-of-war fight over it.  Needless to say, I lost, as did the poor cowl.

Attempt #2
Cast on again.  After about 2 hours of sporadic knitting, I set it down in the wrong spot.  Toddler strikes again.

Attempt #3
Cast on AGAIN.  This time I screwed up the lacework.  Badly enough that I had to rip it back to the beginning.

Attempt #4
I'm sick of this pattern by this point.  My interest in it is waning.  My love for this yarn is fading.  Knitting is supposed to be relaxing, right??

I decide to ditch the pattern, and make up my own as I go along.  That oughta keep my interest level up.  I start with vigor, get about 20 rows in, and call it a night.

I wake up to find my hubby decided to *gently* move my knitting after I went to bed.  About 10 stitches of the not-so-easy lace pattern I was trying out have slipped off the needles.

AAAARGH.

So, resisting the urge to go into the bedroom and whip him awake with my knitting needles, I sit down beside my toddler and pick up the stitches while she watches her morning cartoon.  It takes about 20 minutes, but success!!  And then.......  Ruby leans over and her elbow catches on my circulars, and yanks it out of my hands.  Stitches gone once more.  I know it was an accident, but I nearly start to cry.  Instead, I get angry throw the whole mess across the room, where I refuse to look at it for at least an hour.  I give up.

But, I can't just give up... it's become personal now.  Are the knitting gods punishing me for something?  Well, it's me versus them now.  I WILL get a cowl done. 

So I scour through whatever belongings that haven't been moved into our new place already... and find my yarn stash.  Score!

I decide to use yet another wool that was gifted to me...




Beautiful colour no??  And this time, it's thicker - meaning less stiches.  And I'm going to do a straight stockinette - meaning faster knitting.  I know, it's gonna be a boring knit... but I'm already over a week behind schedule and I can't afford to start a time-consuming pretty thing.   And I have something to prove to those knitting gods - I WILL finish this on time!

And maybe get a second one done too.  Just to rub it in. 

2 comments:

  1. You gave birth...twice! You can finish this cowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, yeah I guess when you put it that way :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...