October 11, 2011

Hand-stitched Notecards


Since the arrival of our little sweety-pie boy Vilho, people have absolutely showered us with their generosity.   Now that things are finally starting to get a little settled... ha ha, wait... let me rephrase that... now that he's over two months old and I'm feeling like a terrible person for not sending out Thank You cards and baby photos already, I wanted to do so without the standard cheezy prepackaged notecards. 



I saw a version of this online somewhere, way back when, even before the babe was born, but unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember where... so to whoever inspired me - I'm sorry!  I can't give credit where credit's due.  

Supplies:

Blank notecard
Large sewing needle
Embroidery floss in colour(s) of your choice


I picked these blank cards up at our local dollar store, for $1 for six (with envelopes and everything! Score!).   You could probably make your own if you have heavy enough cardstock and are feeling crafty.

Take a pencil and lightly spell/draw what you want to on your card.  Don't press too hard, just in case you make a mistake - you can erase pencil marks, but the indent it makes on the card won't go away!

Now take a large sewing needle and prepunch your stitch holes.  Try to keep your holes as evenly spaced as possible.  It will keep your stitches from looking neater and more professional on your finished product.

Now thread that needle, tie it off, and simply start stitching away! 




A look at the back of my work:



And ta-da!  The finished product:


Some people may not like to have the back of their stitching showing... you could always take a peice of coordinating paper and line your card.  I try keep my stitches tidy enough that I don't mind them showing. 

If you're feeling ambitious, you could also personalize these with names, stitch out a quote or a poem, or even do a simple picture.

Happy stitching!


Linked up to:

 Tip Junkie handmade projects

4 comments:

  1. Cute idea. I could use up sock yarn scraps for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the cute idea! Will be pinning on my craft to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Would love it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-12.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...