October 04, 2011

Treat Bag Tuesday - Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Ok, this week I started off really dazed.  This whole packing, moving, taking care of the kids and taking care of a sick hubby thing has me totally out of the loop... so when I woke up this morning and thought, "Holy crap, it's already Tuesday, and I have no idea what I'm going to make up this week".... I really had NO idea what to make.

I have literally no groceries in my house.  Since we're moving shortly, and don't want to move tons of extra stuff, we've been letting our groceries run down.  I've been trying to use up all those dusty items in the back of my cupboards that haven't seen the light of day since, well, probably the last time we moved, which is really sad.

I would've just run out to the grocery store to pick up some ingredients to make up one of the great recipes I have stashed in my brain... but there is no grocery store close to me.  My town is incredibly teeny tiny and the closest thing we have to a grocery store is, ha ha, the gas station up the hill from me.  We have to drive to the next town over to go shopping.  And my hubby is at work, and we share our solitary vehicle, so, sigh, I had no means of transport.  Which means - I had to raid my cupboards and be creative.  I was thinking something chocolate, but then realized my last two posts were chocolatey, and I don't want y'all to think I'm a one-trick-pony.  Think, think, think.  A lonely can of pineapple lingering in the back of my pantry was my lightbulb moment.

I promise - I've made this recipe TONS of times before... just not for a loooong time.  So this was a treat for me as well.  Just a warning - this recipe is not for those who are worried about their waistlines.  The first two steps just might shock you.  But... it's sooooooo worth it.




Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

1/4 cup butter, soft
3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk  or  almond milk
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 14oz can pineapple slices

Maraschino cherries


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9x9" cake pan with the 1/4 cup butter.  Spread a thick layer of it on the bottom of the pan, and a little more lightly on the sides.




Now take that 3/4 cup of brown sugar, and sprinkle it evenly across the bottom of the pan.  I know, it seems like alot... but trust me.  This will make that sweet caramely (*caramelly? caramel-y?*) glaze on the top of the cake.



Now evenly space out your pineapple slices on top of your brown sugar in the pan.  In a 9x9" pan, you should be able to fit 9 slices.  At this point, I usually put a maraschino cherry in the middle of each pineapple slice.  It's pretty, and yummy.  But surprise - I didn't have any in the house and had already started the cake before I realized it.  Oops.

And I forgot to take a picture of that step.  Oops, again.

Now, in a mixing bowl, combine the oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.  Add the milk and pineapple juice, and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Gradually add the flour mixture to the liquids, stirring until well mixed and smooooth.  

Now pour the cake batter over your butter/sugar/pineapple layer in the pan.
Pop that sucker in the oven and let it bake for approximately 45 minutes.

When your cake is done and out of the oven, take a plate / cake stand and set it upside-down on top of the pan, then flip over.  Don't let your cake sit too long once it's out of the oven before you flip it out - the sooner the better! Otherwise that caramel will start to harden and you'll NEVER get your cake out of the pan (unless you scoop it out, ha ha).




I looooove this cake.  If you have a favourite white cake recipe of your own, feel free to improvise with that instead, just following the basic steps.

If there are any suggestions for recipes or treats that you'd like me to try out or share with you, leave a comment letting me know!  I'd love to get your feedback :)


1 comment:

  1. This is my favourite cake! I would even make it myself for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...