November 28, 2011

Treat Bag Tuesday - Sweet & Salty Cashew Brittle

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have an insane sweet tooth.  When I'm having a sugar craving, I'll attack whatever is available... I've even been so desperate, on the rare occasion, as to eat those disgusting, leftover, clearance Halloween candies you find at the grocery store in late November (ahem). 

Not that those are my preference.  Far from it, in fact.

Sweet is great.  Homemade is even better.  And I'm also a sucker for anything sweet with a salty kick to it. 

For those of you who aren't familiar with candy-making, don't be intimidated.  This is a fairly straightforward recipe, and a good intro into the world of candies.  You will need a candy thermometer, which you should be able to pick up at any store with a kitchenwares area (I actually bought mine up at my local hardware store for $5, in their tiny kitchen section). 





Sweet and Salty Cashew Brittle

(makes around 1 lb of candy)

1/2 lb butter
1 1/3 cups white sugar
1 tbs corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 cup water
1 cup salted cashews
coarse ground sea salt

Spray a large rimmed cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray, set aside on a level surface. 

In a large heavy saucepan, add the butter, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and water.  Heat over medium-low heat until the butter is melted and the sugar is mostly dissolved.  Increase the heat slightly to bring to a low boil.



What your candy should look like as it's boiling...
Let boil, occasionally scraping down the sides of the pan, until the mixture turns a nice light amber colour and reaches 300F on your candy thermometer - around 10-15 minutes.

Remove your pan from the heat and quickly stir in your cashews.  Pour the candy into your prepared cookie sheet, trying to spread your cashews out evenly over your mixture in the pan.



  
All spread out and salted up, yum!
Take about 1 tablespoon of sea salt (more or less, depending on your taste), and sprinkle on top of the toffee mixture before it starts to set.  Now let your pan sit, undisturbed, for at least 30 minutes. 

When your toffee has completely cooled, take the edge of a spatula or butterknife to lift the edge of the candy, and start to break into even-sized pieces. 

Keep your candy stored in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag - it should keep for around 2 weeks.

Now, take my advice... don't make this if you're at home alone.  Because you're going to eat lots of it.  Unless you have lots and lots of self control. 

Which I obviously don't. 




Linking up to:




Home Stories A2Z
Tip Junkie handmade projects

5 comments:

  1. What a straight-forward and easy recipe! I love this. I honestly would have never even dreamed of doing something like this, but now I am anxious to try it! Thanks for sharing. :O)

    Found you via link party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so making this next week! Yum!
    -Lostartofsimpleliving

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to put this on my Christmas platters for the neighbors this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question, do you think I can use Splenda as a substitute for the white sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this and it is FABULOUS. Yum. Why didn't I take your advice...cuz I'm gonna eat this wholllllle pan. I know it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...