December 14, 2011

Treat Bag Tuesday - Decadent Chocolate Sauce

This chocolate sauce has pretty much become a staple in our house.  The number one reason for that is... hot chocolate.

My daughter, as sweet as she is, is definitely not a morning person.  She's FINALLY starting to get better (thank God), but for the last year or so, when she would wake up, she was like a different child altogether... whiny, crying meltdowns.  For at least an hour straight.  At 5am.  Sigh.

Somehow, in those foggy insane mornings, I managed to discover that a cup of hot chocolate and a snuggle when she woke up would help to appease the monster.  At that time, I would just whip something up quickly with a container of Nesquick that my hubby had picked up.  When that ran out, I wanted to replace it with something a little more, um, not processed. 



After scouring a bunch of recipes and testing a few, I combined some to come up with one that works for me - it's rich, chocolatey, slightly sweet, and dissolves nicely into a warm cup of milk. 

But it's good for lots of things... like adding to iced coffees, on top of ice cream or fruit, garnishing warm drinks or cocktails, you name it.

See how nice and rich that is?? 

Decadent Chocolate Sauce

1 cup water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup dark (not light) cocoa powder, sifted so there are no lumps
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt

Boil water and sugar together, stirring until sugar is dissolved.  Add corn syrup and vanilla.  Whisk in the cocoa and salt.  Cook over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes, whisking constantly so the cocoa blends well.  Remove from heat and let cool.




Makes about 2 1/2 cups of sauce.  I store mine in a glass mason jar in the fridge.  It will thicken slightly when refrigerated.  If you want to make a REALLY thick sauce, you can reduce the amount of water to 3/4 cup, but I wouldn't go less than that, or it will be too thick. 

It's rich enough that I only have to use about one teaspoon per cup of hot chocolate I'm making for my daughter, which is great considering how much I had to use of the store-bought stuff.  Which also means less sugar overall.  And that makes me happy!




Linking up to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...