January 24, 2012

Treat Bag Tuesday - Fruity Candied Popcorn



I'm going to give you fair warning right from the beginning... so don't say I didn't warn you.  This is incredibly addicting.  I am munching on some right now, as I type this. 

Sure, you'll claim that you're going to make it for the kids... but listen, you're going to end up eating tons of it. 

I originally found this recipe on Our Best Bites (which is a great site - tons of fantastic recipes and super writing - check it out if you haven't been there already!).  I decided that I needed a snack this week that wasn't heavy, or chocolatey (gasp!), and easily share-able.  So out popped the popcorn, so to speak.

I was also going to share a cool way of doing your own microwave popcorn, but coincidentally my microwave kind of blew up last night.  Not literally... it just died.  So, I did up my popcorn the old-fashioned way, on the stovetop.  You could use microwave popcorn if you want, but make sure it's the natural kind, not the extra-buttery or super-flavoured kind.  You could try it, heck, but I don't know what the flavour combo would taste like or how easily the candy would stick, or any of that. 

You can use any flavour of Jello that you'd like.  I picked strawberry because the colour is nice and vibrant and appealing.  You can experiment and see what flavour you like best!  Or make a rainbow mixture!


Fruity Candied Popcorn

8 cups popped popcorn (approximately)
1/4 cup butter
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 pkg Jello (not sugar-free!)


Put your popcorn in a large mixing bowl.

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.  Line a large cookie sheet or jelly roll sheet with foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.

Over medium heat, melt your butter and corn syrup together.  Once melted and mixed, stir in your sugar and Jello.  The mixture will probably be fairly thick... just keep stirring it all together.  Increase your heat slightly to bring to a boil.


Once your mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat so it just simmers.  Let your mixture simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.

When your mixture has simmered for 5 minutes, remove it from the heat and immediately pour it over your bowl of popcorn.  Quickly (using a large mixing spoon) stir the mixture in, blending it well throughout the popcorn so it is fairly evenly coated.  When you find your candy starting to harden and not mixing so well anymore, you can spread it out onto your foil-lined pan.


Spread it out evenly over your pan.  Don't worry about pressing it down or anything like that. 

Put the tray into your preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.  (** The original recipe calls for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.  I found this was too hot in my oven and it scorched the sugar at the bottom of my pan.  I suggest the lower temperature [275 degrees], and check on your popcorn about halfway through to make sure this isn't happening to yours.  Nothing will ruin the batch like a burnt sugar taste!)

When your time is up, remove the pan and let your popcorn cool to room temperature.  Break into pieces and enjoy!!



One cool thing about this treat is that you can colour-customize it... say for a baby / bridal shower, wedding, or for a party of pretty much any kind!

Cheap, pretty, easy to make, and feeds lots of people.  What else can be said??!!?


PS - If anyone is interested in learning how to do your own microwave popcorn, check here:


It actually works.  I did it (before my microwave fritzed out).  I was amazed!!  Then I got mad... at how much money people pay for chemical-ridden stuff that can just as easily be done at home, at a fraction of the price (and way healthier!).  How do more people not know about this!?

Just goes to show what good marketing can do eh!!



Linking up here:

5 comments:

  1. so cute and colourful! And I love that you can make it a bunch of different flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for sharing this! I've done my own caramel popcorn before, but I love this idea of doing different colours / flavours! PS, I also never buy microwave popcorn anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish! I am a follower! Can you please post this at my Taste This Thursday party!?
    www.bellmiracle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you on Tater Tots and Jello and I would love it if you would share this with our readers too for Fun Stuff Fridays! http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...