April 04, 2012

Treat Bag Tuesday - Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Cheesecake Frosting (Egg-Free!)




Awhile back a friend of mine asked me if I could share some egg-free recipes.

To be honest, I'd never tried any egg-free baking... simply because I never had the need to.  None of my family members have those kind of allergies, so I've never had to try any recipes.

Coincidentally, a few days before I was talking with that friend, I happened to be stalking the A Beautiful Mess blog, where there are a few cupcake recipes posted that I'd noticed are egg-free. 

The base cupcake recipe is found here, and I improvised the toppings with what I had on hand in my kitchen.

Not knowing what to expect in terms of flavour and texture for the final product, I was very pleasantly surprised!  The cake has a lovely mild vanilla flavour, and a soft, springy, moist texture. 

The original recipe makes 22-24 cupcakes; I halved the recipe, because honestly, I really don't need two dozen cupcakes sitting around seductively calling my name. 




Vanilla Cupcakes (Egg-Free)

makes approximately 12 cupcakes

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a bowl, combine all your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt). 
In a separate bowl, combine the oil, water, vinegar, and vanilla extract. 

Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients, and slowly pour in your wet mixture, stirring while you do.  Stir just until there are no visible lumps left. 

Line your cupcake pan, and fill your liners 2/3 full.  Bake at 350 F for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the middle comes out clean. 

Strawberry Cheesecake Frosting

1/4 package cream cheese, soft
1 tsp butter, soft
1 Tbs strawberry jam
2 cups (approximately) icing sugar
strawberries (to garnish)
crumbled graham crackers (to garnish)

Cream together your cream cheese and butter, then mix in the strawberry jam.  Add the icing sugar, approximately 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until you reach your desired consistency.

When your muffins have cooled, spread or pipe the frosting on top.  Sprinkle with graham crumbs. 

To make the strawberry fans, cut the stem and any remaining green part off the top of the berry.  Slice the berry from the tip, into thin strips, stopping about 1/8" before cutting through.  Gently spread the berry with your fingers so the strips fan out.  Use a toothpick inserted in the centre (between a couple of the fans) to secure it to the top of your cupcake. 




Enjoy!!!



Linking up to:

3 comments:

  1. They look great!! How did they hold up? I made egg free cake once and while it looked pretty, it fell apart the second I took it out of the pan.

    These would be perfect for my cousin who has an egg allergy.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,
      They held up great! It took us a couple of days to eat them all up, and they stayed nice and moist the whole time (I stored them in covered container), with no crumbling at all :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Your pictures look absolutely beautiful! I wish I could reach through the screen and take a bite.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...