May 31, 2012

Treat Bag Tuesday - One-Hour Strawberry Rhubarb Jam!

Yes, yes, I know it's not actually Tuesday, which is when I usually post my recipes... but I have a few all of a sudden that I want to share, and since I've been so swamped the last few weeks and haven't posted a recipe in awhile, I figured I'd get this one going right away!



Ok, so I have a truckload of rhubarb growing outside in my yard. 

When we came to look at this place last fall before we decided to move in, I noticed the 'little' rhubarb patch in the backyard, and it was kind of a selling feature for me.  Mind you, it was August, and it had pretty much all died back at that point.  I didn't realize the full potential of this rhubarb patch!

The early spring this year got it growing really early, and now it's pretty much coming out of my ears!!  This past week I had to intervene on it, because the weather had gotten really dry (we didn't have rain for about 3 weeks, and it was HOT and sunny), and the poor little plants were withering up and on the verge of turning to dust.  I needed to pick as much as I could salvage before it all just died off....

so.....

I now have at least 20 cups of rhubarb in my freezer!  Plus I've made 2 batches of jam, and at least 3 different kinds of desserts (shared with the neighbours, of course!)... and there's still tons of it growing outside (luckily we finally had rain the other night, so it's perked up again). 

This is a quick & easy recipe for super-yummy, kid-friendly jam, that you can literally whip up in an hour or less!!  And because - shhhhhhhh - it doesn't include any real strawberries, it's inexpensive to boot. 
**And yes, I know that the real deal is - of course - much much more delish!  But for the sake of time and $$, this is a pretty good substitute  :) **




One-Hour Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

makes approximately four 250ml jars

5 cups rhubarb, washed and cut into small pieces
3 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
1 pkg strawberry flavoured gelatin

~Have your canning jars and lids sterilized and ready!~

In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, and apple juice.  Toss with a spoon to completely coat the rhubarb.  Let sit for at least 20 minutes - the sugar will start to draw the liquid out of the rhubarb.  Stir once or twice during this time, mixing well.

After the 20 minutes, slowly heat to a low boil, stirring frequently.  Turn up your heat slightly, and let boil rapidly for at least 10 minutes, still stirring constantly.  Your liquid will reduce and thicken, and the rhubarb will become very soft and start to break apart.

Remove from the heat, and stir in the strawberry gelatin.  Mix well, making sure it dissolves evenly. 

While it is still hot, fill your sterilized canning jars to 1/4" from the rim.  Put on lids and tightly screw on the rings.  Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a level counter to let cool and set. 

***When your jars have sealed properly, the lids will dent in the middle tightly (and may make a 'pop').  If they don't seal, keep in your refrigerator and use up within two weeks! 

Now enjoy that easy-peasy, ruby-red punch of flavour!!



Linked up to:




2 comments:

  1. I've never tried canning but this gives me hope. Hours standing over a stove in the middle of summer (even if it's pretty foggy here in california) doesn't sound like my idea of a good time. This 1 hour thing? this I could do:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I hadn't used all of my rhubarb on my pie experiment last week because now I really want to make this!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...