June 26, 2012

Treat Bag Tuesday - Banana Jam


Yup, it's my second jam posting in a row.

When I start canning, I kind of get in a weird mood where I want to can everything... I mean, I have all the stuff out and ready to go, why not??

Plus, I hate wasting food.  And I'm always looking for ways to use up the LOADS of bananas that we always have on hand.  We either tend to eat them up super fast, or they just sit there and get mushy.  So I am trying to accumulate an aresenal of banana recipes to use them up!

I stumbled across this recipe one day while searching for something completely different, and remembered some banana/berry jam concoction that my mom had made when we were kids... I don't remember her recipe, but I do remember that it was delish!  Unfortunately I didn't have any kind of berries on hand to throw in... but that'll be another recipe adventure for another day.


Banana Jam

makes approx. three 250ml jars

3 1/2 cups bananas, chopped into chunks (I used around 5 or 6 medium bananas)
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar*
1/2 tsp cinnamon

*{I reduced the amount of sugar because the bananas I used were very ripe (therefore very sweet!).  The original recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups sugar... if your bananas are firmer and not so ripe, go ahead and bump the amount of sugar to your taste.}

Squeeze your lime juice into a large bowl, and then chop your bananas into the bowl, tossing occasionally with the lime juice to prevent darkening. 

In a large saucepan on your stovetop, stir together the sugar and water.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar.  Once your mixture begins to boil, add the banana/lime mixture. 

Reduce your heat to low, simmering the mixture for approximately 1/2 hour. Your jam will cook down and turn into a thick paste.  While this is cooking, add the cinnamon and mix in thoroughly. 

Your jam is ready when you scrape a spoon across the bottom of the pan, and the track it leaves closes slowly. 

Spoon your jam into sterilized jars, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. 




Delicious on toast, english muffins, or crackers... or even in a sandwich with peanut butter (classic taste combination!). 

Enjoy!!




5 comments:

  1. We always have a freezer full of bananas, once they start going soft/mushy in they go. Until I get in a baking frenzy and then a weeks worth of banana bread. I'll have to try this for a change to the line-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing recipe. I can't wait to try it. I am your newest follower. I have a Blog Hop, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/06/natural-hair-gel-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I may have to try this. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banana Jam ... Whaaat? I've never heard of such a thing, but it looks delicious! I've been checking out your blog and love it - lots of interesting stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice posting. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, don't be shy!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...